Friday, October 31, 2008

Take Time to Unplug Occasionally

I know I spend way too much time surfing the internet. It is a good idea to go unplugged every now and then in order to really get things done. I was reminded of this when I saw 10 Ways to Ungeek for Productivity Just the other day I took one of my classes to the library, so I could really relate to #5:

5. Do Research at the library

Despite what I’d like to think, Google can’t find me every detail on every topic. Depending on what I’m researching, I often go to the public library. Many libraries maintain subscriptions to databases that cost quite a bit to access, but they also have plenty of offline information. I make a habit of chatting to one of the librarians about what I’m working on. They can often point me to references that I might not have thought of or show me connections between my topic and another that I never would have found searching for keywords on the web.

And there are times when a change of scenery can do wonders for your attitude - get out of your room / office and go somewhere else to work. Besides, I like books.  

Finally an Unplugged interlude with Eric Clapton from back when MTV had music.


See if you can spot this one.

No comments: