Friday, September 3, 2010

Laboratory Disaster Stories

Do you need some good reasons to wear your lab goggles?  Check out the Lab Horror Stories thread on Reddit.
Toluene is refluxed in sodium-benzophenone to ...Image via Wikipedia
 Here's one short and sweet example from an organic chemistry lab:
When I was in organic lab, my TA closed my heating reaction flask a little too tightly. It blew up. I pulled three pieces of glass out of my forehead right above my right eyebrow. The stopper hit my partner in the head. We lived long enough for the department to let us graduate.

Yay for goggles!
For educational and entertainment purposes only, please don't do any of these things yourself.


Link from Boingboing:
Or does it explode?: Reddit collection of laboratory disaster stories - Boing Boing
Enhanced by Zemanta

1 comment:

villi johns said...

you are clear my mind actually after reading your article i got clear my complete doubt. thanks for such easy understanding post. Sharing on What is the difference between cis and trans isomers? for future aspect at here http://electrotopic.com/what-is-the-difference-between-cis-and-trans-isomers/